next Step #3
What Are "Devotions"?
Devotions are times set aside each day to read the Bible and pray for the purpose of spiritual growth.
Why Are Devotions So Important?
There is an old children's song that says "Read your Bible, pray every day and you'll grow, grow, grow." We believe that this is true! Devotions are essential to our spiritual formation. Here are some tips to help you grow as a result of your daily devotions:
- Meditate on a verse or chapter of the Bible. Don't bite off more than you can chew! "I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes." (Psalm 119:48).
- Pause and compare your life to Scripture. "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).
- Use a "Devotional Book" as part of your devotional routine. Many 365-day devotional guides have been written. These usually include a Bible passage and some challenging devotional thoughts. Consider Holiness and High Country by A. F. Harper.
- Keep a prayer list in your Bible. Use your list to pray about specific areas of your life. God encourages us to ask Him for things and to have faith that He will answer us according to His wise will. Sometimes this means that God says "no." Other times God gives us the desires of our heart.
- Spend time worshipping God, not just asking Him for things. God is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. John 4:23-24